We know that keeping your finger on the pulse of the global fitness industry is vital for your success. It gives you the insight needed to grow and enhance your gym or club. Itensity Gym software, explores some fascinating international gym membership statistics and how you can ride the wave of success.
How to elevate your enterprise, look at Itensity’s enterprise features – Itensity’s Enterprise Features
- Gym Member Retention Rate:
- What Keeps Gym-Goers Coming Back:
- Demographics of Gym Membership:
- Member Retention:
- Strategies for Enhancing Membership Retention:
- Gym & Fitness Club Market Stats:
Gym Member Retention Rate:
Let’s kick things off by talking about member retention. We all know that a happy member is a loyal member, and here are some interesting stats:
- An impressive 87% of members stay because they had a positive onboarding experience.
- Shockingly, many gyms lose around 50% of new members within their first six months.
- About 14% of female members say goodbye to their gym memberships after a year.
- January is when gyms see a 12% influx of new members.
- Here’s a win for the guys: only 8% of male gym members call it quits after a year.
What Keeps Gym-Goers Coming Back:
- A solid 50% love their gym’s location.
- A fantastic 45% have had great interactions with gym staff.
- Roughly 38% are happy with the gym’s equipment.
Demographics of Gym Membership:
- The fitness world is evolving, with more than half, 50.5%, of gym-goers being women (IHRSA, 2020).
- Activities like yoga, pilates, and barre are catching on, especially with the ladies.
- In 2020, 14% of women showed more interest in virtual yoga classes compared to 10% of men (Morning Consult, 2020).
- Interestingly, although women make up the majority of gym members, men tend to spend more time exercising. In 2019, 20.7% of men were active daily, compared to 18% of women (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2019).
- The young guns are dominating the gym scene, with 60.60% of gym-goers falling into the 18-34 age group, followed by the 35 to 54 age group at 30.70% (IHRSA, 2020).
- New Year’s resolutions are a big deal in the fitness world, with January accounting for 12% of all new gym memberships (IHRSA, 2020).
- Sadly, most gyms face a 50% attrition rate for new members within the first six months (IHRSA, 2020).
- After a year, 8% of male gym members and 14% of female members discontinue their gym memberships (Noob Gains, 2020).
- Remember, a great onboarding experience keeps 87% of members active after six months (Precor).
Strategies for Enhancing Membership Retention:
- Group classes are where the magic happens, boosting member retention. An impressive 85% of fitness club members attend twice a week for group classes, while 43% are in for four times a week (AFS Fitness).
- In the UK, gym-goers are more likely to stay if they participate in group activities. 48% attend one group activity, 32% attend two, and 20% participate in three or more group activities (TRP).
- Location and equipment quality also play a big role. A convenient location keeps 50% of members engaged, while high-quality equipment retains 38% of them (CreditDonkey, 2020).
Gym & Fitness Club Market Stats:
- The fitness industry is booming, generating a whopping $96.7 billion in 2019, up from $81.2 billion in 2015 (IHRSA, 2020).
- Leading health club companies in 2019 include LA Fitness, with $2.1 billion, followed by Life Time at $1.9 billion, and 24 Hour Fitness with $1.47 billion (Club Industry, 2020).
The future of fitness is all about blending in-person training, classes, personal training, and virtual experiences. To succeed, you need to streamline your daily operations, and that’s where the best gym management software, Itensity, comes into play. It’s not just about embracing new technology; it’s about staying updated with emerging trends and offering diverse, enhanced services. These are the keys to success in this ever-evolving industry. So, let’s keep innovating, growing, and welcoming new members with open arms!
Post by Jaco Van Der Merwe
Follow us on Linkedin – https://www.linkedin.com/company/itensitymanagementsoftware/mycompany/?viewAsMember=true